Braces cost in Malaysia – private versus government clinics
Having braces done can be a big financial commitment. We understand that it can be quite daunting finding a clinic which fits your budget. Don’t worry, we have compiled and compared the braces fee between private, government, military and university dental clinics in Malaysia for your reference.
The tables below should serve as a good starting point for you to decide where to have braces and also for you to plan your budget for braces. It can be seen that the braces fee ranges from RM700 all the way to RM20000+. This means that there are options to suit all budgets.
Even though the cost of braces in private dental clinics are higher, most dental clinics offer an interest-free instalment payment plan. Do check with the clinic regarding the payment plan and whether there are any additional miscellaneous costs involved.
- What is the estimated total fee for braces?
- Is the braces fee fixed or is it pay as you go? (e.g. fixed amount regardless of treatment duration or continuous monthly payment until completion of treatment)
- What is included in the fee?
- What is not included in the fee?
- How much is the initial deposit upon signing up for braces? Is the deposit refundable if you change your mind?
- How much is the monthly payment? Is it interest-free?
- What is the accepted mode of payment (e.g. cash, credit card, online transfer, eWallet)?
- Is there discount for full upfront payment? Is there family/group discount?
- Are there additional fees for broken braces?
- What happens if midway through treatment, you decide to continue braces elsewhere?
The table below compares the braces fee between private, government, military and university dental clinics. Here are a few things to take note regarding the fees:
|Types of Dental Clinics||Metal Braces||Retainers|
(free for children of civil servants)
(Hospital Angkatan Tentera)
|Public University||Universiti Malaya (UM)||RM3700||RM400|
|Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)||
(treatment by postgraduate student)
(treatment by Orthodontist)
|Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)||RM1500||RM400|
|Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM)||RM2000-RM3000||RM400|
|Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia (UIA)||
(only for those aged 17 years and below)
|Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM)||RM3000||RM400|
|Private University||AIMST University||RM2000+||RM100-RM200|
|Penang International Dental College (PIDC)||RM4000||RM225|
|MAHSA University College||RM5000||RM500|
|International Medical University (IMU)||RM7000-RM10000||Included(?)|
|Melaka-Manipal Medical College (MMMC)||
(self-ligating metal braces)
|Lincoln University College||RM4000||?|
#unless otherwise stated
* The above information was obtained through the respective dental clinic reception. The accuracy has not been verified and serves as a general guide only.
* In compliance with the Malaysian Dental Council’s “Guidelines and Provisions for Public Information 2014”, we are unable to publish our fees online.
Well there you have it. A general comparison of the braces cost in private and government clinics.
Apart from cost, you may also want to consider the waiting time for braces. As the cost of treatment is lower in government and university dental clinics, waiting time can range from a few weeks up to several years.
Do check out our other braces related posts by clicking here. Feel free to contact us for a no obligation braces consultation.
Updated: 12 Oct 2021